Red lentil dahl with turmeric cauliflower florets
3 years agoNutrition
3 years agoNutrition
Our rich and creamy coconut red lentil dahl is flavoured with authentic cumin and turmeric spices, fresh coriander, cherry tomatoes and wilted spinach. Served with roasted turmeric cauliflower florets, sweet potato chunks and nigella seeds.
Cook time: 30 minutes
120g cherry tomatoes
1 brown onion
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tsp turmeric
200g sweet potato
200ml coconut milk
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp ground cumin
4cm fresh ginger
80g red split lentils
Medium handful of fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / gas mark 6, and boil a kettle. Peel the sweet potato and dice into small cubes. Place the sweet potato on one side of a large baking tray lined with parchment paper.
2. Remove the cauliflower leaves and roughly cut the cauliflower into small florets. Place the florets and some of the smaller cauliflower leaves onto the other side of the baking tray. Drizzle the veg with ½ tbsp oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Sprinkle just half the turmeric over the cauliflower and just half the nigella seeds over the sweet potatoes. Place the tray in the oven and cook for 20 mins.
3. Finely dice the onion. Peel and grate (or finely chop) the garlic and ginger. Heat a large pan with ½ tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook the onion, garlic and ginger for 5 mins then add the cumin, remaining turmeric and the red split lentils, cook for a further 3 mins.
4. Meanwhile, roughly chop the coriander (including the stalks) and slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Add the coriander and tomatoes to the pan and cook for a further 2 mins.
5. Pour in the coconut milk and 100ml boiling water. Season with sea salt and black pepper, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 mins until the lentils are tender, stir occasionally. For the final 2 mins of cooking, place the spinach on top of the dahl and place a lid on the pan. After 2 mins, remove the lid and stir through the cooked spinach.
6. Spoon the lentil dahl between two warm bowls, place the roasted turmeric cauliflower and the roasted sweet potato cubes alongside. Sprinkle with the remaining nigella seeds.
639 calories • 73g carbs • 29g fat • 22g protein
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef
Sign up to learn everything you need to know about CycleMapping, plus how you can live better and feel better through optimising your fitness to you.
Sign up for the very latest news on women's fitness, health and hormones, plus be the first to receive exclusive offers and extras