Smoked haddock and sweetcorn chowder
3 years agoNutrition
3 years agoNutrition
A delicate smoky flavour infuses through this creamy sweetcorn, potato and smoked haddock chowder which is then topped with a refreshing red pepper, chive and sweetcorn salsa.
Prep time: 30 mins
120g sweetcorn (drained)
½ tbsp oil
1 red pepper
1 vegetable stock cube
200g baby white potatoes
200ml coconut milk
2 tsp cornflour
2 x150g smoked haddock (skin off)
80g cavolo nero
Medium handful of fresh chives
Medium handful of fresh thyme
1. Boil a kettle. Dice the baby potatoes into small 1-2cm pieces. Place the cornflour into a cup with 2 tbsp cold water and mix to dissolve.
2. Place the smoked haddock into a large saucepan with the coconut milk and the thyme sprigs. Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in a jug with 500ml boiling water and stir to dissolve. Pour the vegetable stock into the saucepan with the fish, simmer for 6-7 mins until the fish is cooked through, then remove the fish, flake it with a fork and reserve on a plate for later.
3. Add the potatoes and cornflour to the saucepan and simmer for a further 15 mins until the potatoes are cooked.
4. Meanwhile, dice the red pepper into small pieces and drain the sweetcorn. Finely slice the cavolo nero and finely slice the leek. Finely chop the chives. Make the sweetcorn and red pepper salsa: in a small bowl place half the red pepper, just ¼ of the sweetcorn and ¼ of the chives. Squeeze the juice of half the lemon over the top and mix all together. Reserve for later.
5. Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat with ½ tbsp oil. Add the remaining red pepper and leek to the pan and cook for 4 mins, then add the cavolo nero and remaining sweetcorn, cook for a further 4 mins.
6. Remove the thyme sprigs from the potatoes then pour the potatoes and vegetable stock into the frying pan with the vegetables, simmer all together for 5 mins, add the flaked smoked haddock and carefully stir (add a splash more boiling water if necessary).
7. Spoon the sweetcorn and haddock chowder into two warm bowls. Top with the sweetcorn salsa and remaining chives. Season with sea salt and black pepper then squeeze over the juice from the remaining lemon (to taste).
527 calories • 42g carbs • 25g fat • 34g protein
Allergens: Celery, Fish
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef
Sign up to learn everything you need to know about CycleMapping, plus how you can live better and feel better through optimising your fitness to you.
Sign up for the very latest news on women's fitness, health and hormones, plus be the first to receive exclusive offers and extras