Spicy Madras fish curry and brown rice
3 years agoNutrition
3 years agoNutrition
This fiery aromatic tomato based curry is made with traditional Madras spices and black mustard seeds. Nestled in the delicious curry are chunks of fresh cod, aubergine and spinach leaves.
Cook time: 30 minutes
23g Madras spice paste
½ tbsp oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
20g creamed coconut
2 garlic cloves
2 x 150g cod fillet (skin off)
400g chopped tomatoes
80g brown rice
Large handful of fresh coriander
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water, simmer for 20-25 mins.
2. Crush or finely chop the garlic. Finely dice the shallot. Cut the aubergine into 1 cm pieces. Finely chop the coriander leaves and stalks, keeping them separate.
3. Cut the cod into bite-sized pieces and season with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Heat a medium-sized pan with ¼ tbsp oil on a medium-high heat and cook the aubergine for 5 mins, then remove from the pan and set aside. Heat the same pan on a medium heat with ¼ tbsp oil and cook the black mustard seeds, garlic, coriander stalks and shallot for 3 mins, then stir in the Madras curry paste for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and cooked aubergine, season with sea salt and black pepper and simmer for 2 mins.
5. Place the cod and spinach into the pan and place a lid on the pan, simmer on a low-medium heat for 7-10 mins until the fish is cooked through.
6. Dissolve the creamed coconut in a small bowl with 30ml boiling water to make a drizzle. Drain the brown rice and stir through the coriander leaves.
7. Spoon the coriander rice into two warm bowls and top with the spicy Madras fish curry. Drizzle over the coconut sauce.
569 calories, 54g carbs, 19g fat, 37g protein
Allergens: Fish, Mustard, Sulphites
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef
Sign up to learn everything you need to know about CycleMapping, plus how you can live better and feel better through optimising your fitness to you.
Sign up for the very latest news on women's fitness, health and hormones, plus be the first to receive exclusive offers and extras